Thursday, August 12, 2004

Lost Posts

I am really aggravated. I had just typed one of the longest posts I'd ever done, based on a bunch of interesting thoughts I had reading this Peter Drucker book, and when I went to publish the post, my internet connection was down. The only bad thing I've found about Blogger so far is that when that happens, hitting your back button doesn't take you back to the input screen with you message in an editable mode where you can copy and paste it out to Notepad or something to save your work. The message is just lost.

Boy, that's irritating! I'll try to recreate the post again tomorrow. It won't be as good as it was - lost writing redone never is - but at least only I'll know that. Everyone else reading this will have to simply wonder how it could have possibly been any better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naughty, naughty. No backups. Which raises a question.

Is blogging inherently a stream of conciousness activity, or should blogs be carefully constructed and edited?

They could be either, of course, but where lies the spirit of the thing? I don't really follow the bloggers, but encounter them anyway. Some blogs read like they have been carefully composed for publications. These are, perhaps, the "serious" bloggers, who want to publish to convince others. Some are streamers, who seem to me to be reaching out for something, perhaps another person with whom to interact. The remainder may simply be egoists, who think that because they brushed their teeth or ate breakfast, the world must need to know.

There seems to be room for all, of course. Which would describe you?

An equally valid question exists: Which would describe those who comment on what you write?

A-nony-nony O

DarkTortoise said...

I usually carefully construct my posts, then go back and edit them a bit before I hit the Publish button. Sometimes, though, it's that I thought of something amusing or interesting and I just don't want it lost. Since stuff like that is what I want to share with others anyway, posting to a blog is an efficient way to both record and share.

Part of why I'm doing this is practice, too. I would like to do a serious, topical blog designed to persuade and/or instruct, but I want to make it habitual. After three months, I've had few long pauses, but I'm still sporadic. When I find I've been consistent and settle on a specific topic, I'll probably spin off a second blog for the topic and pursue wider publication. I don't feel ready to do that yet.

I don't know how that makes me fit into the categories you suggest, though.