Sunday, March 26, 2006

Polar Opposites

I was in an Indian restaurant at lunch the other day. The kind that have the all-you-can-eat buffets. I ordered a diet Coke with my buffet. When I asked for a refill, I was informed that refills cost extra. I asked the guy if it made any sense that for one price I can go back and take, say, eight whole chickens, but if I'd like another (microscopic!) glass of diet Coke to go with it, that's extra. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

After a minute of thinking about it, he agreed that didn't make sense. Then he went elsewhere to help other customers and I drank water for the rest of the meal - probably just as well for my health, but still. I thought about refilling my glass with sauce from one of the buffet dishes, but then that would be vengeful.

Buck was with me and I asked if he minded that I tried to make my point with the waiter. He said he didn't and that everyone needs a cause where they can pull out their soapbox for a few minutes every once and awhile. That's why it's cool that he's becoming a program manager by day focused on new product development, but is a poet in his spare time. More polar opposites.

No comments: