Thursday, April 20, 2006

Visiting Other Countries

I visited a bunch of other countries today. It was remarkably easy. My office is in a building on Connecticut Avenue in northwest Washington, DC. The area is sometimes called "Embassy Row" because so many embassies are within a short distance of one another.

I went to lunch with Buck about ten blocks away, so we walked by a bunch of them. As we were doing so, I recalled that embassies are considered foreign soil, part of the countries they represent, so as we passed each I made a point of stepping onto the first step or driveway or whatever of a bunch of them, then quickly stepping back into the United States. That's right, sneaking back and forth across the border with no more documentation than my driver's license and not even showing that.

I visited Bulgaria, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, and Estonia. I would have visited more, but I didn't think of it until we were on our way back from lunch. Too bad I didn't even get stupid T-shirts.

No comments: