Sunday, November 14, 2004

Homebuyers are Irrational

I guess I'll never understand. People out buying houses are almost entirely irrational, at least as far as I can tell. Otherwise, why would I need to stage my house with furniture I don't even like? Why would having the lights on when they walk in the house matter? Why would it matter if I left a book I was reading out on the counter or not? Why would I have to hide the dishrack in a cabinet?

I'm not like that, but apparently most people are. So, I'm doing all those crazy things in the hopes my house will someday sell. Fortunately, I don't have to like it, I just have to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so aaron, you may not recall when we sold the house in kansas.

and the realtor said that we could NOT be there when it was shown, that kid toys had to be put away, that i should vacuum every morning before we left. people who may want to buy your house want to identify with themselves being in the house. your personal book out suggests that the house is yours, however much you want it away from around your pocketbook, and maybe not as available as you say it is.

did you rent more furniture? i was surprised you sent as much as you did to maryland. i was told when i sold my mother's house to not move out things i wanted until after it sold. the house was to look clean and homey (partly the reason for the lights)and a new to the house realtor may not know where the switch is.

so if someday you buy another house, where will your level of rationality be located?

joan

Anonymous said...

People out buying ANYTHING are mostly irrational. Maybe that's good. How rational is it really to hang a weight of several thousand dollars a month on your personal economy to own a house where the rooms are so big you need to subdivide them? How many people need that much space and can comfortably afford it?

For that matter, how many feel a need to look out the back window every day at mountains, a river, and an unpopulated expanse of wilderness?

Joan made an excellent point about the book, one I hadn't thought of. She has sold more houses than I have and is a clever person as well. I would look at it as you probably do: an indicatior of the kind of person who liked the house well enough to buy it and live in it. But then not everyone is that curious or imaginative. They want to picutre the place as already their house, despite the furniture they would never choose.

Humans are strange.

Lewy