Sunday, June 05, 2005

The Italian Internet

The code for our new website at Microsoft is about to be locked down and we're doing final testing of version 1.0. As such, I'm running my browser in Italian. I'm sure many Americans aren't familiar with how you change the language preference in your browser. For Internet Explorer, you do that through Tools Internet Options, then select the Languages button on the General tab. I've set mine as Italian, then English.

When I open up the test version of our site, all the menus and such appear in Italian. It also gives a (Resource Not Located) message when we're missing an Italian version of a particular piece of text. I can log that as a bug so our localization team will know to fix it.

What's more interesting is to then go to other sites and see which ones are presented in Italian. For example, I'm typing this on the Blogger website and about half the text is in Italian, such as "Consenti nuovi commenti su questo post", which I think means, "Allow new comments for this post". However, the link for "Recover post" still just says "Recover post".

I may leave my browser this way for awhile and see if it teaches me any new Italian. Now I'll go click "Pubblica post" and share this with you, the reader.

No comments: