Thursday, June 23, 2005

Personal Scorecard

I've started a personal scorecard. I posted it on a personal bCentral Sharepoint site I have so I can get to it from any of the three computers I regularly use, or really any computer with an Internet connection and PowerPoint installed. In it, I will give myself a daily grade, like those you get in school, A to F, on each of the five areas I've decided to set as my initial focus. I'll also retain the accumulated previous week's grade.

I've decided to start with these areas: Diet, Exercise, Microsoft, Heatherstone, and GTD System. The first two are obvious. Microsoft is a representation of how well I'm doing my job at Microsoft. Heatherstone is a catch-all for my progress with my personal, generally financially orient projects. GTD System is how well I use David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology for time and project management.

I've also added to my calendar a recurring "meeting" from 8:55am to 9:00am to update the scorecard. This will push the update into my attention every day as I try to make it habitual. I graded myself for today immediately (rather than tomorrow morning) since I was already in there setting it up at the end of the day. For those that are curious, today I gave myself a "D" average (C, F, B, F, F).

With an average of a D today, I already feel an internal push to do better tomorrow - which is of course the point.

No comments: