Sunday, June 12, 2005

Learning by Teaching

Next week, while I’m on vacation, I’m going to visit with a long-time Heatherstone client of mine. While I’m there, I’m going to provide some coaching to two of the employees on using David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology.

Of course, I’m personally not nearly as good at GTD as I would like to be. Trevor and I talk about it quite often, and I have slowly, painfully slowly, improved at using the system, but I feel I have a long way to go to be truly effective in this way. My hope, however, is that since I understand the principles, coaching others on the subject will help me learn more about it myself. Teaching another person helps the teacher organize his thoughts and solidify his own thinking on the subject.

When I was a freshman in college, I tutored other students in the math lab in business calculus. I had taken calculus as a junior in high school and done very well, but I think that at the end of the year after tutoring others for several hours every week I knew calculus better than at any other time.

This opportunity to teach others about something I’m still learning therefore seems like a great one I’m excited to have.

No comments: