Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Mess with Their Heads

I got my sneakers really wet last night, so I needed to wear different shoes today. I wore dress shoes. Since I was going to wear dress shoes and a long-sleeved shirt anyway, I went ahead and wore dressier pants, too, instead of my usual jeans.

That really messes with the heads of your managers. They have to be thinking, "Is he interviewing? Is he planning to leave?" I think it might even make them treat you just a bit better in the hopes that it will distract you from aspects of work that you find less than pleasant.

I also picked up the book "Difficult Conversations" today at Kevin's recommendation. It's subtitled, "How to Discuss What Matters Most." It occurs to me that even if I never read it or read it and learned nothing, just having it conspicuously on my desk could improve the tenor of conversations I have with co-workers because it at least looks like I'm trying to figure out how to work with them better.

I didn't set out to mess with their heads, but it's so easy I can't help but do it without trying.

2 comments:

bethany said...

So, are you going to tell us *how* you got your shoes all wet?
Funny stories. Let me know how you like that book, and what things strike you. I personally need a book titled, "How to discuss other things than what matters most: You don't have to be so intense all the time." ;) just kidding.

DarkTortoise said...

OK, story told - next post. Not being so intense sounds like a fine thing to learn if you find yourself being too intense. Fortunately, I take most things as humorous, and lately I've been getting even better at it.