Sunday, December 12, 2004

Blogging More Frequently

I've always been amazed that there are people that have a new blog entry every day, but are not writing for a living, but rather have some other job.  For example, Raymond Chen's blog has a new, interesting (although for me, sometimes indecipherable) post every day.  Trevor recently pointed me at a post where he describes how he does it.  It's so simple, it ought to be obvious.
 
When he sits down to write an entry, he writes two.  The extra goes into a library of posts he can send later, although I'm sure that as a highly skilled developer he's written himself some kind of tool to do the posting automatically without further intervention.  Apparently, he has enough that he could not write again until the middle of next year and still have a post every day.
 
I don't have a tool to do it, but I've starting writing a few.  As I write this, I have four extras waiting in the wings on a variety of topics, simply saved in a separate drafts folder in Outlook called Upcoming Blogs.  I'm going to look into seeing if I can simply schedule delivery, since I'm using Microsoft's Exchange Server, such that it sends the mail at a given future time without my needing to be in Outlook at the time of sending.  I guess then I'd have a tool!
 
So, if you find I've become remarkably prolific and consistent with new blog entries daily, you'll know how that's happened.
 

No comments: