Saturday, May 29, 2004

Is it Work or is it Pleasure?

I'm in San Diego (still) and sitting in a bar called Mahoney's on F Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. I'm plugged into a wall socket for power, so I'm in no danger of running out of battery, which for some reason is the greatest concern I have at the moment. (Very nice!) There's a Starbucks next door, and I can get a connection via T-Mobile, so I've bought a DayPass for my internet access. I needed to get to my workstation and the corporate network back at Microsoft, but fortunately, I have a smart card reader and a smart card and thought ahead enough to get the remote access stuff installed.

So, what am I doing with that, besides adding to my blog? Well, there were some updates I had to submit regarding projects at work that really needed to be in tonight. And there was a bit of email to reply to, including one sent to me at 2:30pm requesting a 5pm the same day reply (what were they thinking?) But you know, it didn't seem so bad doing the work, since I was able to have dinner and some drinks at the same time.

I'm now thinking that Ram and I should hold our weekly manager/direct report 1:1 meetings in the evenings at a local hotspot or something. I've had no problem getting quite a bit of work done, and have enjoyed it a lot more. I'm on to something here! Maybe I should just stay in this bar indefinately, and attend meetings via phone. I wonder how long it would take before anyone realized I never came in the office? I should ask Robert - he's never in the office, for real.

No comments: