Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Tuxedo

I'm going this evening to get measured for a tuxedo for the first time in a very long time. I think the last time was for my own wedding, so that would mean about fifteen years ago. This time, it's for Trevor's wedding to the multi-talented Suzanne, who holds an MBA and a job in an ad agency (I think) and also just participated in a comedy contest for Black Entertainment Television. I don't know if being Korean and sending in a tape to BET was the first joke or not, but apparently it worked well enough she'll be on TV after hundreds of comedy club appearances. Way to go, Suzanne!

The first tuxedo I was measured for was for my junior prom. When I went to pick it up, the legs were way too long. I brought it to their attention, and while they were able to fix it, I asked how they got it so wrong. It turns out that an inseam of 27 inches sounded so ridiculous to them, they figured it was a typo and so they hemmed the pants to 37 inches instead. Of course, 27 inches was correct and not that far off from where I still am today.

The nice way to put it is how my grandmother described it to me once, "Overtons sit high in the saddle." Abraham Lincoln said something on topic once, too, when asked about his long legs. He said something like, They are precisely long enough to reach the ground. People always laugh when I steal his line.

No comments: