Thursday, May 19, 2005

How to Play

Trevor has talked a couple of times with me about Jason Womack's blog. Jason works for the David Allen Company, creators of the Getting Things Done methodology. So, I subscribed.

Already, I have something new to talk about from it. Today I was explaining to my manager why I was going to start looking for another job (within Microsoft.) In part, it's because we're about to ship the exciting first version of our product, which is great, but due to budget constraints, the v1.1 of our product we plan to ship in September will have less features than expected. The features it will have will be only the most necessary, so the more exciting but less necessary features will be postponed to some indefinite later version. My enthusiasm for the working on the next version has therefore waned somewhat.

A recent entry in Jason's blog discusses how much more interesting it is to play to win than just play to play, in his example the difference between kicking a ball around and trying to score a goal when playing soccer. I think there's a parallel there. I don't want to just kick a ball around, putting in a few basic features to this product that while necessary are still just stuff we didn't quite get to in the first version. I want to try to score a goal with something groundbreaking. With the current plan, I just don't see it.

No comments: