Thursday, July 14, 2005

Alone in the Office

There was a division-wide "all-hands" meeting today. When our whole division gets together like that, it's a big deal. I'm not sure how many people that is, but it involves long lines of huge buses taking people from the main campus to Qwest Stadium, home of the Seahawks, in downtown Seattle.

I didn't go. We've had two other big meetings, one for Server Feedback Systems (about 250 people) and one for Windows Server (about 2200 people), each of which is a subset of the division. Instead, I was in the office getting an incredible amount of work done with few distractions. Only the vendor developers, who don't go to employee events like that, and our internal customers from other divisions were around, the latter only on the phone or email. OK, there were a couple of other full-time employees who skipped out on it, but they seemed to be also enjoying the lack of distractions.

The all-hands was also all-day. It's interesting how the team can set a tight schedule, not knowing that an all-day event will be set by a vice president, but when that schedule is missed, few remember the days lost to that kind of stuff. No matter. I've been to others like this and I think I ended up more satisfied not going this time. Alone in the office is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.

1 comment:

bigsip said...

Thanks for the writing advivce on Sip and Relax. I replied on there, but figured I'd pay you a visit as well. I work for Anteon as a Functional Analyst. Cool on beingg a PM! You have probably been in the biz for a while now. I used to work for Lockheed Martin and before that was in the Air Force. Anyway, nice to meet you and I hope your writing career continues to progress. I checked out your site. I am a big Tolkein fan (read Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc.) so I can appreciate your subject matter! Fantasy writing and science fiction are fun, althought I mostly read classics. Well, take care and blog again whenever you like!