Monday, July 18, 2005

Wilderness Peak


Crossing Shy Bear Marsh Posted by Picasa

This is the first time I've done two hikes in the same weekend, and it was seriously challenging. Originally, I was thinking about going after Mount Dickerman again, but two "Most Difficult" hikes within two days seemed like asking for trouble. Wilderness Peak was listed as a merely "Difficult" trail, 6.2 miles long and about 1300 feet in elevation gain.

It was a truly gorgeous day, if perhaps a little hot, in the mid-eighties. The hike was a reasonable one for exercise, although there was little unique to photograph and virtually no views. There's a little side spur to a place called "Long View Peak" although considering the absence of any actual view aside from peeking through some trees nearby, it seems misnamed.

I had high hopes that Wilderness Peak, perched as it is on the south side of Cougar Mountain, would have a view of Mount Rainier, but like it's nearby cousin, it's pretty much surrounded by trees. The peak itself is pretty much a small cleared spot with a bench. I sat there for a bit resting before the final two miles down the side of the mountain, very steep with a lot of switchback.

It was still a good time, though. My next hike will probably be in two weeks, since I'm in a training session all next weekend. I think I'll be planning for something a little more spectacular, although they don't have to be that way.

1 comment:

Evil Genius said...

gorgeous picture. looks like if you follow that it will take you to the Ewok village. haha.