Friday, July 29, 2005

Still in Alaska

I'm still in Alaska, but headed home the day after tomorrow. Hopefully not that Day After Tomorrow, though. I realized I hadn't taken a picture of my parent's house, so I did so today from the road.


My Parents' House Posted by Picasa

I'd never gone further down Edby Road, the road my parents live on, during the two years I'd lived here or during any of the visits. So, with trusty dog at hand, I did. I was surprised how many other roads and houses were back there. I never knew.

I walked a couple of miles on the back roads tonight. It smells of burning spruce trees everywhere today. There were massive forest fires last year in Alaska that made most of the state covered in smoke for much of the summer. Some of those fires smoldered away all winter in the bogs only to blaze up again this year. The smoke I was smelling tonight is from fires that are burning hundreds of miles away. It's enough that there's a haze over the hills and the sun is dimmed enough to look at directly. It looks like a glowing red ball in the sky. But don't let me just tell you, take a look for yourself. I took a picture of that, too.


Smoke and the Sun Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

bethany said...

wow, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a beautiful road. You all should see it in winter, a sunny still day with the snow handing on the trees.
Joan